THE SIERRA CLUB OF CANADA, B.C. CHAPTER, AND THE CHALLENGE
OF SUSTAINABLE FISHERIES
Outline: The Sierra Club’s approach to sustainable fisheries.
1. Benchmarks for Sustainability.
2. Salmon, the Wild Salmon Policy, Mixed-Stock Fisheries, Selective Fisheries.
3. The big challenge in marine conservation: Biomass removals.
The main source of biomass removals: Groundfish. Progress and pitfalls.
4. Decision-making reform: Building a Bigger Tent.
5. Sustainable aquaculture.
6. Endangered species.
7. Building public confidence: Fisheries certification, consumer choices.
8. Quotas and the dreaded invisible hand of the market.
9. Challenges ahead.